14.7.10

I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home!

For serious, this last week has been BAH-RUTAL! So I was over-joyed when Steve called me Monday night and whilst on the phone I get this knock on the door and guess who walks in? It was basically the best surprise of my life thus far- I am hoping there are some to top this in the future. Tuesday I went out to do a job with Steve in Rocky Mountain House- it was SO fun, I basically sat down and had an afternoon of great conversation with this older lady while Steve worked- I did however, did help take things out of boxes and assemble them, Steve's such a slave-driver! LOL It was good fun, and nice to have a day of just he and I. Thanks Mom for watching our girls so short notice! Kalea and Brynlee were pretty happy to see Steve when they woke up this morning, haha little did he know...
"Fun" w/Our Munchkins (this is only from today)
  • Stampede Kids Day: Kalea enjoyed her first cinnamon sugar covered donuts and is just as addicted to them as the rest of us! She also got to come face to face with the barnyard animals who she imitates everyday. However, she is not a huge fan of touching them, which was pretty entertaining. Brynlee LOVED petting the horses, we know this because she was flailing limbs excitedly and laughing the whole time. It was great, the kids were great and we got a good workout hauling them and their stuff around the grounds for 3hrs.
  • Home: The girls fell asleep before we left the grounds, so we were hoping to get them home and into bed before they woke up, we didn't and that is what I partly blame (the series of unfortunate events) the rest of our day, on...
    1. The Great Whining of Kalea: Where to begin? It was incessant, never-ending and NOT music to our ears. It also landed her in time-out more times than I even care to recall.
    2. The Great Tackling of Brynlee: I must preface with this part, Kalea enjoys playing with her toys in the basement. While Steve was trying to get a catnap in this afternoon, Kalea came up to the mainfloor diaperless and holding a paintbrush. Clearly I ran downstairs to inspect the damage, no harm no foul, grab the diaper and get back to the kids. As I reached the top of the stairs I hear Brynlee doing her annoyed "get away from me big sister" cry and I look to where the kids were and Kalea has tackled Brynlee from behind and is smooshing her face into the floor and then the edge of our ROCK fireplace. I screeched "Kalea Noooooooo" and she ran to hide, but Brynlee, Brynlee had that horrible silent face of pain. The silence before she let out the blood curdling scream was indescribable. I don't think I've ever waited that long for the cry to actually happen, but when it did, it could break glass. Steve ran down the stairs and quickly returned Kalea to her bedroom- and yes we do swat our 2yr old when she does stuff like this, read "The Strong-Willed Child" and then judge our parenting style if you must. Then he came back downstairs to make sure Bryn and I were okay. I was so horrified I couldn't even cry, it was a weird weird headspace to be in and I hope not to be in that place again for a long LONG time. Bryn's face is fine, she had a bump but after icing and cuddles, she is mostly left traumatized with a red line across her forehead.
    3. The Great Flooding of the Bathroom: You'll hear in a second why Kalea was there, but when we did our "kid switch" I went upstairs to supervise Kalea while she took a bubble bath and found her playing Noah's Ark. I mean the water was seeping into my hallway carpet. So I threw down some towels, raised my head to the heavens and said "You've got to be kidding me" and went to sit down on the toilet seat... And we'll continue the story further down our list :D
    4. The Great Pooping of Both Kids: We'll start with Kalea. Hilarious child that she is, sometimes she will not lay down for a diaper change, it's a wrestling match. But sometimes it's because she's not finished, and really there's no way to tell because asking her questions while she's eluding being captured for said diaper change basically is like asking your walls to tell you how their day was. So Steve wrangles her and starts to wipe, etc... and just when he's taking the yucky diaper away, well, more yucky starts coming out... Have I ever mentioned the girl that Steve becomes when dealing with feces? It's pretty hilarious. That was the first fun poop of our day. The next came while Kalea was stuck in her room after The Great Tackling of Brynlee. Usually she lays by her door and hollers at us to come let her out, this time it got eerily quiet. Steve went upstairs to survey the situation and as soon as he opened the door Kalea hands him a WAD of poo-filled baby wipes. Basically she stuck her wipes in the back of her diaper and tried to wipe. I mean, we have to give her props for trying to sort it out on her own right? Steve threw her in the bathtub with a load of bubbles and I hollered "kid switch" so he could eat dinner and go to his install. Well after dealing with "The Flood" I hear Steve calling me in his girlie freaked out voice- the one he only does when he's dealing with feces. I run downstairs to find him standing with Brynlee in an outstretched football hold. She has a weird brownish/greenish colored glob of something on her back and Steve's opposite arm is streaked with the same brownish/greenish glob and he also has a brownish/greenish glob of something falling from his hand. I HAVE NOT LAUGHED SO HARD IN A LONG TIME! It was the laughter of a crazy person, really. I collapsed in a heap of laughter while said globs were falling from Steve's outstretched appendages. Brynlee was happy as a lark, Steve was very concerned and I was just a heap of laughter. It was priceless. Once I got myself together I proceeded to help Steve get cleaned up and strip Brynlee of her grossness as well. Then Steve showed me the amount of poo in the Bumbo and the laughter started again. I didn't know it was possible for so much of that to come out of an infant?!
So that was Steve's grand welcome home from the kids. I suppose if I hadn't been laughing hysterically I definitely would've been crying. I am glad today didn't happen when I was on my own and I am SO happy Steve got a taste of what he's missed while he's been away. Is that bad?

4 comments:

The Staheli's said...

OKay...That was the funniest post EVER!!!! My stomach might be sore from laughing so hard. :) Good job girls! Keep up the great work! HAHA!

Sheri said...

Hilarious! (only because it wasn't me!!) that really did make my day and make me realize the crazy things that my kids and even dog have done today could have been worse; there could have been poop involved!
I love that you documented this so you can give your girls something good to read when they get older and have their own crazy day with their children.

Jacqui said...

That was AWESOME!!!! Oh man, I am so glad that someone else has a strong first born!!! I have so many friends with little kids that just sit there--what would that be like!! What a smarty little girl, trying to clean it up herself!

Thanks for sharing the awesomeness of it all!

Sarah said...

Oh that was good, that was really really good!! Hahahaha!! You are a saint for laughing your way through it. I agree with the above poster, this will be the perrrrrfect story to tell when they have kids of their own. Sweet revenge!! I'm gonna have brad read this one too.